IEC-60695-2-11 › Fire hazard testing - Part 2-11: Glowing/hot-wire based test methods - Glow-wire flammability test method for end-products (GWEPT)
Show Complete Document History
The following bibliographic material is provided to assist you with your purchasing decision:
IEC 60695-2-11:201 4 specifies a test method on an end product. It is intended to simulate the effects of thermal stresses produced by an electrically heated source to represent a fire hazard. This test method is used to check that, under defined test conditions, an end product exposed to an electrically heated source has either a limi ted ability to ignite or, if it ignites, a limited ability to propa gate flame. However, the fire hazard analysis, the flammability aspects and the flame spreading to other products are not covered by the present standard. This second edition of IEC 60695-2-11 cancels and replaces the first edition of IEC 60695-2-11 published in 2000. It constitutes a technical revision. The main changes with respect to the previous edition are:
- the Introduction has been added to provide background and how it relates to the Scope,
- the Scope has been modified for greater clarity and reference to basic safety publications,
- numerous terms and definitions relevant to this Standard have been added to Clause 3,
- the application of "small parts" and "insignificant mass" have been introduced and clarified,
- the different types of specimens, how to specify them, and limitations of the test method have been further clarified in Clause 4,
- clarified in Clause 5 the distance to specified layer when unknown,
- the information from Clause 6 has been moved into the test procedure in Clause 8,
- the conditioning of the specified layer and the laboratory ambient test conditions were clarified in Clause 7,
- measurement of the maximum flame height was removed from Clause 9,
- the reference to this test as "GWEPT" was introduced along with an applicable title change and
- Annex A has been revised to reflect current practice by prominent product committees.
This standard has the status of a basic safety publication in accordance with IEC Guide 104 and ISO/IEC Guide 51. This standard is to be used in conjunction with IEC 60695-2-10. Key words: Glowing/hot-wire, Glow wire, Flammability, Fire hazard
To find similar documents by classification:
29.020 (Electrical engineering in general Including voltages, general electrical terminology, electrical documentation, electrical tables, safety, fire hazard testing, etc. Electrical diagrams and charts, see 01.100.25 Electrical power stations, see 27.100 Electromagnetic compatibility, see 33.100)
This document comes with our free Notification Service, good for the life of the document.
This document is available in either Paper or PDF format.
IEC 60695-2-11 Ed. 2.0 b:2014
Feb. 6, 2014