About ASTM Volumes
ASTM International (formerly the American Society for Testing and Materials) has published a complete collection of their standards for some time. This collection is divided into Sections and Volumes by subject classification for increased useability.
You will find that the format for the numbering is 00.00, that is Section 00, Volume 00. Each Section has a unique topic, and each Volume is a subset of that topic. There are a total of 15 Sections plus an index (Section 00.00), making a total of 82 volumes.
So, for example, Section 13 is on Medical Devices and is divided into 2 Volumes: 13.01 on Medical and Surgical Materials and Devices and 13.02 on Emergency Medical Services; Search and Rescue; Anesthetic and Respiratory Equipment.
Use this index to find the various ASTM standards on your area of interest.
- 01 IRON AND STEEL PRODUCTS
- 02 NONFERROUS METAL PRODUCTS
- 03 METALS TEST METHODS AND ANALYTICAL PROCEDURES
- 04 CONSTRUCTION
- 05 PETROLEUM PRODUCTS, LUBRICANTS, AND FOSSIL FUELS
- 06 PAINTS, RELATED COATINGS, AND AROMATICS
- 07 TEXTILES
- 08 PLASTICS
- 09 RUBBER
- 10 ELECTRICAL INSULATION AND ELECTRONICS
- 11 WATER AND ENVIRONMENTAL TECHNOLOGY
- 12 NUCLEAR, SOLAR, AND GEOTHERMAL ENERGY
- 13 MEDICAL DEVICES AND SERVICES
- 14 GENERAL METHODS AND INSTRUMENTATION
- 15 GENERAL PRODUCTS, CHEMICAL SPECIALTIES, AND END USE PRODUCTS