IEC-60695-11-5 › Fire hazard testing - Part 11-5: Test flames - Needle-flame test method - Apparatus, confirmatory test arrangement and guidance
Show Complete Document History
The following bibliographic material is provided to assist you with your purchasing decision:
IEC 60695-11-5:2016 specifies a needle-flame test to simulate the effect of a small flame which may result from fault conditions, in order to assess the fire hazard by a simulation technique. The results of this test may be used as elements of a fire hazard assessment which takes into account all of the factors which are pertinent to an assessment of the fire hazard of a particular end use. It is applicable to electrotechnical equipment, its sub-assemblies and components and to solid electrical insulating materials or other combustible materials. This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition published in 2004. This edition constitutes a technical revision. This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- The scope has been broadened to allow this test method to also simulate the effects of small flames from outside the equipment;
- Propane and butane gas are the specified fuel source with a minimum purity of 95 %;
- A new concept has been added which allows the burner to be moved during the test to avoid dripping material from falling onto the tip of the burner tube;
- The burner tube material is now a referenced source;
- The reference for the copper block material has changed - the ISO publication (ISO 1337) has been withdrawn with no replacement. A new callout is now used and Informative Annex C and a bibliography have been added. This basic safety publication is intended for use by technical committees in the preparation of standards in accordance with the principles laid down in IEC Guide 104 and ISO/IEC Guide 51.
Key words: Fire Hazard, Test Flames, Needle Flame Test Method
To find similar documents by classification:
29.020 (Electrical engineering in general Including voltages, general electrical terminology, electrical documentation, electrical tables, safety, fire hazard testing, etc. Electrical diagrams and charts, see 01.100.25 Electrical power stations, see 27.100 Electromagnetic compatibility, see 33.100)
This document comes with our free Notification Service, good for the life of the document.
This document is available in either Paper or PDF format.
IEC 60695-11-5 Ed. 2.0 b:2016
Dec. 1, 2016